Saturday, December 24, 2005

The Parting Glass


The Parting Glass

Hear Verse 1
Hear Verse 2

Aye, 'tis a traditional Irish song for singing
at the end of an evening at the pub.
Probably the only song more common as a wrap-up
is the Soldier's Song, the national anthem of Ireland.


Of all the money ere I had,
I spent it in good company,
And all the harm I've ever done,
alas was done to none but me
and all I've done for want of wit,
to memory now I can't recall
so fill me to the parting glass,
goodnight and joy be with you all.

Of all the comrades ere I had,
they're sorry for my going away,
and all the sweethearts ere I had ,
they wish me one more day to stay,
but since it falls unto my lot
that I should go and you should not,
I'll gently rise and softly call,
goodnight and joy be with you all.

If I had money enough to spend
and leisure time to sit awhile
there is a fair maid in this town
who sorely has my heart beguiled
Her rosey cheeks and ruby lips,
I alone she has my heart in thrall
so fill me to the parting glass
goodnight and joy be with you all.


(blog top)



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home